The Story of the House
The Sisters of Mercy came to Wanstead in December 1917. This was in response to a request from Fr. W. 0' Grady, Parish Priest of St. George's, Walthamstow who recognised that there was a great need in Wanstead for Catholic Education. The sisters came from Commercial Road in East London and the Convent was purchased for £2,000.
Wanstead Community with Care
We are making Mercy the 'business of our lives' today by our outreach work of service to those in need. With the help of our lay staff we care for our Sisters in Community for as long as possible. This is done in a spirit of service and in appreciation for all our Sisters have given in various mercy ministries over many years.
Acceptance of suffering Parish ministry
Prison work Retreat work
School Governors Spiritual direction
Work with the homeless Missions support
Prayer Hospice work
Counselling Adult literacy
Communications work Listening ear
Praying Through Art Workshop
Members of St. Joseph's Convent enjoying an Art workshop facilitated by Sr. Patricia Henry. The theme of the Workshop was 'Praying Through Art'. Recently Patricia attended an Art and Prayer Workshop in Crewe. She found it very liberating and enriching.
Wanstead Community enjoyed a lovely visit from our Sisters in Eltham on Sunday 18th March. They joined us for lunch before engaging us in a PowerPoint presentation and talk on the ‘Bags of Courage’ project in support of Women @ the Well.
The Sisters really inspired us to become more involved by knitting, sewing, card making etc as well as continuing to collect goodies for Coffee Mornings or Prizes for Raffles.
We were very pleased to be able to present them with four boxes of saleable goods which we collected over the Lenten period.
We were delighted to be engaged in the project which would be dear to Venerable Catherine’s heart and to networking with our sisters.