This old house has had many uses over the years. It started life as the family house of a wine merchant. In 1901 the house became a Convent of Mercy and a school was opened on the premises. In 1905 the Training College for Women was opened. In the late 1970s the house was given over to Dove House Hospice Centre, prior to a purpose built facility in another part of Hull, Administration offices for Hull Institute of Higher Education. Now the house is used as Dawson House Flats/one bedroom flats rented to people needing accommodation.
Two of us live in the flats. Sister Bridget and Sister Sue. We are a Mercy presence in the ever-changing population of Dawson House residents.
After a life as cook, teacher and parish Sister, Sr Bridget brings to her life of retirement a prayerful interest in all the residents of the flats. Sr Sue’s apostolate is among those whose lives are affected by life limiting diseases. She is a staff member of the Carer’s Support Service in Hull and works as a volunteer complementary therapist at Dove House Hospice. Sue also helps with Peru Crafts from our Mission in Lima, and is always happy to give presentations about this project.